Read on our Knowledge Hub.
It’s summer! Much like the temperature outside, you may feel that the price of gas is hotter than it used to be.
While the season is known for higher gas prices, factor in current events like inflation and supply-chain issues and it’s no wonder why we’ve seen such a spike.
While high costs at the pump may be unavoidable, we’ve got advice to help prevent your wallet’s tank from coming up empty.
Ways to Save Money on Gas
- Use cash. Some gas stations offer lower prices when you pay with cash. Keep an eye out to see if any local stations offer a discount.
- Sign up for store memberships. Some places offer discounts on gas when you have a membership card, such as stations like Maverik or bulk suppliers like Costco.
- Use a gas rewards credit card. Some credit cards give you cash back on gas. This is one of the best rewards you can get!
- Keep your car in tip-top shape. Not only will this extend your car’s life, but it may also help you get better gas mileage.
- Switch to a more fuel-efficient vehicle. Does your car guzzle gas? While you might not want to switch to fully electric, hybrids get far better mileage than standard vehicles. If you’re ready for a new set of wheels, hybrid or not, with our auto loans we’re excited to tag along for the ride!
One of the best ways to save, however, is to do some research before you fill up.
Research Gas Prices
Instead of stopping at the nearest station, it’s better to weigh your options to see if other places have better deals. One store a few blocks down could be significantly cheaper than the one down the road.
A great way to quickly compare gas prices in your area is by going to Google Maps and searching for ‘Gas’. You’ll see all stations near you with a breakdown of their prices. This will help you find the best deal in just seconds!
Change Your Habits
Another option to consider while prices are high is switching up your routine. Summer is an excellent opportunity to spend more time outside and make the most of the good weather!
- Walk or bike when possible. Not only is walking or biking good for your wallet, but it’s also good for your health!
- Consider carpooling. Try carpooling with friends, family or fellow employees when you can. Since it’s split multiple ways, carpooling can help everyone save money.
- Take public transportation. This will allow you to view your city from a different perspective while saving money.
Feel Less Pain at the Pump
For many of us gas is a necessary expense. However, there are several ways you can save on gas this summer. Take advantage of rewards, do your research beforehand or consider other forms of transportation and you and your wallet should be cruising easy!
While you’re out and about on your next adventure, ride with peace of mind knowing Horizon’s added security options are here to help keep your money safe.
If you think you forgot your card at the gas station, use Guard Your Card to turn it off and – when you find it under the coffee in your center console – turn it back on again. Plus you can take advantage of cell phone nearness technology and location controls so you’re always in control of your cards!
Have you ever heard of card skimming? We can help you avoid it altogether. Load your Horizon cards onto your digital wallet and just tap to pay and be on your way! Each transaction creates a unique token per transaction instead of sharing your card information, adding extra protection to your purchases.
Wherever you wander this summer, do it with a credit union that’s ready for the adventure!